Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Daddy's Home!


I wasn't expecting David home until late Monday night or possibly even Tuesday, but the crazy man drove 17 hours on Sunday and made it home about 9:30pm Sunday night! He wanted to totally surprise us, but he was afraid I would shoot him (literally shoot him with our pistol!) if he walked in unannounced late at night, so he called about 15 minutes before he got home. The kids were still awake so we were all able to welcome him home!

It was a long six months, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been or really as bad as I imagined it would be. My mom was here for a week here and there to help break up the monotony when it was starting to get bad. She'd help with the kids and the house and whatever else I needed and took care of baths and breakfasts and lunches, as well as giving me free reign of my days to run errands kid-free or attend the temple and stay as long as I wanted. She's a good woman. The two weeks we were able to spend with him in D.C. were such a gift. I have a really supportive church family here and some good friends from Boston and law school in the area that included us in their family outings and activities and gave us things to do on the weekends! We got a lot of snow this winter and I didn't have to shovel my driveway once as some kind neighbor would always come with their snowblower and clear it for us. The base has a great program here for families of deployed spouses and we enjoyed monthly excursions at fun, different places that were completely free. Between the busy-ness of school and the kids' activities, church callings and activities, the time did just pass on by. I thought I would be afraid to sleep in the house (with a basement!) by myself as I would get scared in New Mexico when David was gone on TDYs, but I wasn't scared one night here in his absence, and that is a blessing.

Things I am looking forward to now that David is home:

1. Not having to curl up with just my Kindle at night when going to bed!
2. Not having to sit with three kids during church by myself. That was ex-haust-ing.
3. Getting back into better meal planning. I got lazy while David was gone.
4. Grocery shopping by myself without having to watch the clock to make sure I get back to pick Elyse up on time from pre-school.
5. Not having to carry any more heavy stuff up and down our basement stairs!
6. Having David back to help answer the incessant "why" questions that my kids barrage me with and having him help settle disputes and arguments!
7. Being a complete family again. Single parenting is so hard, and I've realized in the last six months that the Lord set up the family unit exactly as he needed it to be. It's important to have a mother AND a father as there are specific things each give to their children. I have friends who single-parent all the time due to choices that were not their own and they are my heroes, and I know they have the Lord's blessings.

Hooray for being together again!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Hooray! I've been waiting to hear about his arrival. So glad he made it back to you guys safely. And I'm so happy for you that you all are together again at home. You did it! And you were awesome!

Sara said...

I'm so glad he made it home safely. Yea for normal family life again. miss you tons!

Wade's World said...

So glad your family is back together again. You will never know how much non-military folks like myself appreciate the sacrifice families like yours make for my safety. Much hugs and love from Alabama!!