Thursday, February 7, 2013

Elyse turns 3!

So David has yet to be home for any of Elyse's birthday. He was gone her first birthday, in the middle of a trial on her second birthday, and now gone again for her third birthday. Ethan and Sara Katherine have had a party for every birthday, and poor little Elyse's first and second birthdays were barely acknowledged. So I was sure to do it right this year with a real party and a real cake. We took some friends to the trampoline park that she LOVES and had a great time. It was my first time to try marshmallow fondant on a cake, and I loved the way it turned out and it was really easy to make and use!

Just in the last couple weeks, she decided she was ready to go in the potty, and we've been accident free for almost two weeks. Ethan was 3 years and 3 months before he was all the way potty trained, and Sara Katherine was 2 years and 10 months. It's not something I stress about AT ALL. She decided she was ready and now she's going all the time on her own. It's the first time since Ethan was born, almost 7 1/2 years!, that I haven't had to buy or change diapers. It's bittersweet.

Other noteworthy things about my little Lysie. She LOVES Dora the Explorer. Sara Katherine was very into princesses at this age, and Elyse really could care less about princesses, but she looooves Dora. She loves beans, of any kind. I would say black beans and refried beans are probably her favorite food. (And grilled chicken). She's the pickiest eater of my three kids and I attribute that to David's absence the last six months. He fights battles I just won't fight, one of them being with food. So her pallette may not be as broad as Ethan and Sara Katherine's but she's healthy. At her three year well check she was in the 93rd percentile for weight, and 76th for height. She's a big girl and I'm sorry to say, built just like me. I'll apologize in advance for her never being able to find a pair of blue jeans that will fit her in her waist and thighs at the same time.

She is a hilarious child. She really has a sense of humor that cracks me up all the time. She loves to sing and dance and run around naked when she can get away with it. She has to have water and look through books before she can go to sleep at night. She loves to take baths and swim and terrified my friend when we went swimming at an indoor pool this past weekend and she refused to wear a life jacket and would hold her face under the water for an extended period of time. She is definitely a water baby.

She has crazy hair. It just won't grow, it goes ten different ways; I have no idea what to do with it. She won't keep a bow in her hair, so when we go out, I get told what a cute little boy I have. She does look SO much like Ethan it's kind of scary.

She's very social and has no anxiety about being away from me. At a restaurant this week, I was on the phone and realized she wasn't at the table anymore, but running OUTSIDE the front of the restaurant back and forth. She wanders off in stores, and is completely unphased if I am around or not. It makes trips to the store with her a special kind of exhausting. She loves preschool and nursery at church, and reverence during Sacrament at church is not her strong suit. She's much too busy to sit quietly for an hour. We are working on that and I can't wait for David to get home and hopefully be able to help me out. She really is such a joy, despite her strong streak of stubborness and independence. I guess what goes around truly does come around! (Sorry, mom!) She makes Sara Katherine's earlier years look CHILL.

But I love her so and I can't imagine my life without her. Happy 3rd Birthday, Baby Girl!

On the night her actual birthday, she opened some gifts and we had a slice of cookie cake from the Cookie Connection. Yum!







Presents!

No comments: